What is 9-1-1?
9-1-1 is a three-digit emergency telephone number you can call 24 hours a day for police, fire, or emergency medical services.
9-1-1 saves valuable time in an emergency. Don't spend precious seconds trying to find your telephone directory to look up the number for the emergency agency you need! Dial 9-1-1 and we will take care of the rest!
When to call 9-1-1:
- when you see fire or smoke
- when you are involved in, or witness, an automobile accident
- when you hear or see gunfire
- when you hear a person screaming
- when someone is choking or critically ill
- when you see a crime being committed
- when someone is trying to break into your house or a neighbor's house
- when a child is approached by a stranger
When NOT to call 9-1-1:
- when the outdoor warning sirens are activated - - please listen to your local radio station for updates
- to get a weather report
- to ask for road conditions - - for Missouri Road Conditions call 1-888 Ask MODOT
- to report power or phone outages
- to ask for directions or get names of streets
- to report an abandoned vehicle
- to request or provide any information that does not need immediate attention